-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of David E. Fox
Sent: Wednesday, 2 April 2003 1:08 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] open source spreadsheet file format.

> I have to write a webapp with a downlaod option for the data..
> at present the format is in .csv (comma seperated values)

OK, most if not all spreadsheets can take CSV. (csv is nearly
identical to Basic DATA statement format, without the DATA tokens, in
case anyone's wondering).

It seems you have two issues: one of presentation, and one of
transmission. It is true that CSV is limited, although the header can
be transmitted as the first row of the data.

For instance:

"SEQ","FNAME","LNAME","ACT"
"1000345","David","Fox","34"
"1000346","Paul","Jones","37"

etc.

Then the sheet or app at the other end can just import that, and the
user knows what the columns are for.

Now as far as presentation is concerned, you could have a perl script
or such that would sisplay the data the sheet is about to download
before it gets downloaded -- however the real data is still preserved
in CSV form.

I used to work in an environment where I was getting new sheet data
daily and incorporating it into spreadsheets and other things. I seem
to recall the presentation of data was done with Java.