On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 06:16:09 -0800 (PST), T E <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have searched the web for the answer to my question
> but have found conflicting info.  So I turn to you,
> experts!
>
> What exactly are the benefits of recompling the kernel
> (besides support for new device)?
>
> I have asked this question before, and was told that
> it optimizes the system to work more efficiently.
> However after reading:
>
> http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/kupgrade.html
>
> The writer states he has never seen kernel recompling
> produce a faster machine.  Other posts on the web seem
> to hint that kernel recompiling is a thing of the past
> or a signal .  Whats the deal here?  I've tried
> recompling before on mandrake 8.2 and have had mixed
> results.  However, I noticed that you have the option
> to specify the processor type (which makes me think
> that would make it perform faster?).
>
> TIA

It depends on what you compile into your kernel. That article at
mandrakeuser.org is very old, I think it was originally written in the 2.2
kernel days. With the 2.4 kernel series, there are many patches that can be
added to improve performance and responsiveness. Also, you can save some memory
by choosing only the drivers for your particular hardware.

I like to use the Gentoo patches on a vanilla kernel, compiled for my CPU
architecture (Athlon XP). My system feels much better this way.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]

    "We love Linux, and the most wonderful thing about Linux is that it's
     a problem for Microsoft." -- Scott McNealy, CEO of Sun Microsystems