On Wednesday April 2 2003 04:48 pm, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> A kernel recompile won't produce a faster machine (at least, not in
> the conventional sense). It can, however, make the perceived speed
> of the machine seem faster. For example, some of the low latency
> and pre-emptible kernel patches for the 2.4 series can improve the
> desktop response. More recently, some of the scheduler changes can
> make simple things like MP3 playback smoother. Keep in mind that
> these are patches to the default (i.e., Linus Torvalds) kernel.
> Mandrake may already have applied many of these patches so you
> might not gain a thing.

   For 9.1 (should be OK on 9.0 too)

kernel-multimedia-2.4.21.0.16mdk-1-1mdk
kernel-multimedia-source-2.4.21-0.16mdk
   (on cooker /contrib (RPMS2) mirrors)

  "This kernel includes patches useful for multmedia purposes like:
preemption, low-latency and the ability for processes to transfer
their capabilities. The preemtion patches allow a task to be
preempted anywhere within the kernel, using spinlocks as markers for
non-preemptibility regions. The resulting system response is greatly
increased, with measured average latencies under 1ms. Andrew Morton's
low-latency patches fix the remaining points in the kernel that cause
latency. The setpcap patch allows suid root processess to transfer
capabilities to non-root processess, and so making it possible for
user processes to run with realtime priority."

  No discernable improvement seen here, but I use it anyhow ;)