On Saturday 05 April 2003 02:38 am, Frederic Soulier wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been following this thread about icons for removable devices but
> I'm quite puzzled by the way it looks on my box (installed with 9.1 from
> scratch, not upgraded from 9.0 so there is no leftover).
>
> In my /home/xxxx/Desktop directory I do not have all these .desktop
> files (except a Home.desktop).
>
> Could someone briefly explain exactly how these dynamic icons are
> handled and the corresponding hook up scripts (hotplug?)
>
> I'd like to control the naming of those icons and/or be able to get rid
> of them altogether and replace them with my own static icons.

Exactly what I wanted to do.  Here's what I did (after Marc's reply):

(1) Disabled KDE's automatic device display:
     Go to KDE Config -> LookNFeel -> Behavior
     In Devices section at the bottom, uncheck "Display
     devices on the desktop."

(2) Go to the desktop, right click, select Create New ->
     Link to application (URL).  Type in the name you want
     and the mount point (E.g., /mnt/cdrom).  [This assumes
     you are doing this for supermounted devices--if not use
     Create New -> xxx Device.]

(3) Right click on the new desktop device icon, select properties, and
     pick the appropriate icon.

(4) Repeat for other desired devices.

I could not find a script that KDE is using.  Must be in a binary.  So, I
don't see any way to currently control how KDE displays mounted or
unmounted devices automatically.  So it's a nice idea, but not quite
fully usable.

Norm