On Thursday 03 April 2003 01:02 am, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 20:40, Norman Carver wrote:
> > >
> > > Go into /home/you/Desktop.... You'll find the files that Gen the icons
> > > there.
> >
> > I have it disabled now, but that was the first place I looked, and I
> > didn't see the icon files there.  What are they called?
>
> Discover custom services.desktop  Mandrake Expert.desktop  Trash/
> Home.desktop                      Mandrake Store.desktop
> Welcome.desktop
> MandrakeClub.desktop              Removable media/
>

> is the list... vi (or emacs kate etc) the file... it covers all the
> info on how KDE puts the icon on your desktop.  If you want to prove
> this to your self cd into the directory,  mv one of the files up one
> level .... the icon disapears.  mv it back... the icon will re-appear.

I know how KDE generally handles desktop icons.  Again, though, you
appear to be talking about 9.0 rather than 9.1.  What you describe as the
default desktop icons here is what you got with 9.0.  In particular, 9.1 does
*not* have the Removable media icon and does not deal with the removable
drives via the /usr/bin/kdesktop-links script as 9.0 did.  So, knowing how
9.0 dealt with them is of little/no help to 9.1.  That was why I was asking!

Marc gave the correct answer:  the desktop icons for removable drives (and
harddrives) can be made to appear automatically by KDE 3.1, and are by
default set to appear in MDK 9.1.  Despite the fact that device icons appear
on the desktop, they are not produced by files in your Desktop directory.
The big problem I have with this approach is that you have no control over the
icons or the text that KDE will use.  So I disabled the automatic icons and
created my own.

Norm