Am Dienstag, 3. Juni 2003 16:23 schrieb Lyvim Xaphir:
> On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 08:34, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> > ** Lyvim Xaphir (Dienstag, 3. Juni 2003 03:23)

<-- a lot of things written here -->

I just want to state my personal opinion.

9.1 feels a lot faster, even faster then 9.0. Mandrake 9.0 was for me more
usable then 8.2, so I can say for sure Mandrake 9.1 is better then 8.2. For
me the last best release before 9.0 was Mandrake 7.2.

What I want to say is that it is totally an opiniom to judge how good a distro
overall is. If I read about unstable mandrake i often think it is buggy
hardware. I have no problems at all on my system (ok one reproducible)
regarding stability. On a friends machine with a crappy mainboard and a
radeon video card there are issues. But this board is crap with a buggy
apic/acpi implementation and several other issues. You will have problems
with all OS you want install on that board. What I think may be a problem too
with 9.1 is, that there is the first time the acpi code in it. SuSE made that
some time ago and had problems too. Mostly this is:

- not starting Linux
- some network card issues

On the other side there are a lot of hardware that runs the first time or a
lot better with mandrake 9.1 because of that. Judging by the knowledge that
there will be more hardware like that it was a good thing to do so.

Further to judge if the mandrake distro is crappy made you would have to have
a look at other distros at nearly the same level of actuality.

Belonging to the club:

The _rpm_ voting system was made:

1) to provide new apps for release for convinience of the user that have paid
2) to learn from that what is often used, what people would like to have, what
fits the people needs

In my opinion it was not made for general suggestions people vote on and
mandrake has to do so. Again it is called RPM voting and I guess that is what
you speaking about. I dislike the new rpmdrake as well but I think that
before it was not optimal too. You had the same, just tabbed.
Thinking of that mandrake should do whatever the club members say, i would not
feel good. The developers have to know how things should be done at the last
word. That some developers don't take the club serious is another problem,
but that is not related to the rpmdrake issue. I don't think they regard a
good suggestion, just because they don't want to hear you and club members.
-