Evaristo Ferrari wrote:
Hi,
I have installed lilo on hda8 mount as root partition and created a boot floppy.

TIA

Evaristo

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 07:19 am, Evaristo Ferrari sent this :-

just install mdk 9.1 download edition and I chose not hda lilo install.
First reboot got lilo prompt and login mdk 9.1
Second rebot got lilo 9999999 error.

When you install grub or lilo to the beginning of a partition other than the mbr, you need to have a bootloader in the mbr that chainloads the bootloader on your other partition. I don't understand how you got one good reboot, however.

In /usr/share/doc/lilo-doc-22.4.1 there is a User_Guide that contains:

The LILO boot sector is designed to be usable as a partition boot sector. (I.e. there is room for the partition table.) Therefore, the LILO boot sector can be stored at the following locations: " boot sector of a Linux floppy disk. (/dev/fd0, . . .) " MBR of the first hard disk. (/dev/hda, /dev/sda, . . .) " boot sector of a primary Linux file system partition on the first hard disk. (/dev/hda1, . . .) " partition boot sector of an extended partition on the first hard disk. (/dev/hda1, . . .)3 It can t be stored at any of the following locations: " boot sector of a non-Linux floppy disk or primary partition. " a Linux swap partition. " boot sector of a logical partition in an extended partition.4 " on the second hard disk. (Unless for backup installations, if the current first disk will be removed or disabled, or if some other boot loader is used, that is capable of loading boot sectors from other drives.)

This indicates lilo can't be installed on a logical partition, which is what hda8 is. I use grub and it does not have this limitation. I have grub in the mbr and booting from three different disks, including chain loading a grub for 9.1 that is installed on the boot sector of hdg7.

I don't know what you are trying to accomplish but it is possible that you could get lilo working by booting CD1 to a rescue session (press F1 when the screen says to press F1 for other options). There is a menu option to reinstall the bootloader and this might work for you, I don't know.

Rolf