On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 03:41 pm, eric huff sent this :-
> > I have also run XP in
> > another partition, and crashed it often, then reinstalled it, and it has
> > never reworked the MBR, just put itself back in with out destruction.
>
> Is it "safe" to reinstall 98 and XP?  I was always told it would reformat
> your entire drive (wether you wanted it to or not).

If the command to format has a drive specified, then DOS or any windows O/S
will only format that drive. However, even if format is specified, only all
windows partitions will be formatted and it will be possible to still boot
into Linux through the boot floppy. I have never had any windows operating
system touch the Linux partitions. Or so has been my experience. It is as if
they don't exist. Which can be very handy.

Windows can be reinstalled and then boot floppy into Linux, run lilo as root,
and everything will be fine. Normal boot options again.

Charlie
--
In a grove of tall bamboos
Beside an ancient temple

- Baisao (1675-1763)

This email is guaranteed to be wholly Linux Mandrake 9.0, Kmail v1.4.3 and
OpenOffice.org1.0.3