For those interested, there's a brand new Con Kolivas -ck1 patch against
kernel 2.4.21-rc7. I just tried it on Mandrake 9.1, and so far so good,
except no supermount (if one cares).

I just applied the 2.4.21-rc7 patch to 2.4.20 source (did mrproper first),
then applied the ck1 patch, and then did make xconfig. I loaded the stock
Mandrake 9.1 2.4.21-pre .config file, then I selected for my cpu (athlon),
said no to some various hardware devices and options I never use or have.
(wound up with a 1.1MB kernel image)

Then did the usual:

make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules

su to root, and:
make modules_install
make install

Then I checked /boot and /etc/lilo.conf just to make sure all was correct.

In my case, I removed the old 2.4.20-ck7 kernel and 2.4.20-ck7 /lib/modules,
and lilo entries. Ran lilo again to finish up, and rebooted,

Booted fine, and I'm now using the new patched preemptive kernel from Con
Kolivas. Seems really responsive.

Robert Crawford