Thanks Jack and Michael for the pointers!  Sorry to take so long to get
back.  I've used the --exclude option as Michael suggested for now.  Also
thanks for pointing out the -z option for tar; believe it or not I thought
I was actually using that already, I guess my biggest problem is not
paying attention :)

I'm also going to take a look at cdbkup.  I'm not so much trying to
reinvent the wheel really, as I am trying to get more familiar with
scripting.  As I already mentioned, I really glazed over two really
obvious options that were available to me (doh!)  I also like the
simplicity of being able to use stuff that's already on my system.

Thanks again!  Mike