On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 11:32, manolis wrote:
> Στις Πεμ 12 Ιουν 2003 06:01, ο/η James Sparenberg έγραψε:
> >
> > Question here... is it a USB device?  Really dirty way might be to do
> > /etc/init.d/usb stop before loading then /etc/init.d/usb start after
> > it's "discovered.  Don't have one to test this theory on ... just an
> > idea.
>
> yes it is a usb device.
> I don't want to disable USB, I want to leave the device alone (it cannot be
> used anyway) to use it with vmware machine.
>
> manolis

Manolis,

   I'm not much into USB myself (don't have the cash for the toys I
really want.*grin*)  However man hotplug or info hotplug could well be
your friend there is a file in /etc/hotplug called blacklist.  My
understanding is that you can tell hotplug not to react to specific
devices here (in this case it would be the device Linux thinks you have
I believe you said it was a scanner.) then vmware handles it from
there.  Since I don't have much in the way of USB here.

http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/

Is the website for hotplug more info might be there as well.  But my
best opinion on this would be that hotplug would be the key since it
controls how usb devices are handled.

James