On Friday 13 June 2003 07:51 pm, Lorne wrote:

> I wonder if it is a bad hard drive, and or controller. No errors during
> install? For it to die like that it just seems/smells hardware based. Are
> you running hdparm and doing anything to soup up to UDMA or anything? What
> about when you install. regular or expert install? Do you click the option
> on hard drives that activates LBA or UDMA or something. I'm sorry I can't
> remember what that option is.

Er, forgot to say that hdparm is installed and gives this:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] darklord]# hdparm /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 78167/64/32, sectors = 160086528, start = 0

I do install as expert, don't even remember that option under v9.1 download
edition though - everything was pretty automagical. :-)

--

                                            /\
                                 Dark< >Lord