On Friday 13 June 2003 09:12 pm, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> On Friday 13 June 2003 07:51 pm, Lorne wrote:
> > I wonder if it is a bad hard drive, and or controller. No errors during
> > install? For it to die like that it just seems/smells hardware based. Are
> > you running hdparm and doing anything to soup up to UDMA or anything?
> > What about when you install. regular or expert install? Do you click the
> > option on hard drives that activates LBA or UDMA or something. I'm sorry
> > I can't remember what that option is.
>
> It would seem hardware wouldn't it? Yet sitting here from my end, I
> hesitate. Everything is less than 6 months old, and its mostly quality
> stuff (I know - anything can go bad). Basic setup is:
>
> Soyo Dragon Plus MB
> AMD XP2100 cpu
> 512 megs DDR ram (Corsair brand)
> Maxtor 80 gig HD
> Nvidia Ti4200 video card.
> Toshiba DVD
> Plextor CDRW
> 350 watt AMD approved PS
>
> So I dunno...you'd think this little system would rock.

Would it be out of the question to load 9.0 on it again fresh and see if the
problem goes away? Even if you put it on another hard drive. Although it
would be better to use the same HD if possible. I've been watching the thread
and even though it acts like hardware, some folks have certainly come up with
very good arguments why it may be some sort of package issue.