On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 05:27, stefmit wrote:
> I am making one last attempt with the great hope that someone, somewhere has
> figured this libraries issue out. Almost any program coming with libraries
> slightly different version than MDK ones fails to install, regardless of what
> I attempt to do. Last example is qtopia's RPM, which I NEED like air, for my
> Zaurus, but which install (unlike 9.0) breaks now in MDK9.1, with the
> following message:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] utilities]# urpmi qtopia-desktop-1.6.1-1.i386.rpm
> installing qtopia-desktop-1.6.1-1.i386.rpm
>
> Installation failed:
>         libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3 is needed by qtopia-desktop-1.6.1-1
>
> I have tried everything one can imagine, in regards to previously posted
> advices, from creating symlinks to existing libs, to modifying
> /etc/ld.so.conf, to rerunning ldconfig ... etc. I almost envy winblows users
> now, who can install multiple versions of dll-s in the directories of the
> executables, and they run programs fine. I have been trying to keep the
> system "urpmi database" friendly, but this way I won't be able to install
> different libraries, as installing the ones I need, from source, would
> probably have undesired effects.
>
> What are you - people - doing with the programs requiring different libraries
> than what MDK provides? Or are you using only MDK packaged programs?

Usually a problem like this indicates I've downloaded the wrong RPM for
my distribution. If it turns out that it is the right RPM, I'll try
--nodeps and see if it can install and run.

> Another perfect example of something needed, but impossible to install in
> MDK9.1: nagios 1.1 (the www part), which - yet again - cannot install because
> of the same issue of libraries (and - by the way - the packagers from MDK
> decided - for some weird reasons - to have the nagios 1.0 install all over
> the place, vs. the docs provided with the source, which
>
> TIA,
> Stef
>
> P.S. Speaking of nagios - the person who contributed the nagios packag for
> MDK9.1 decided - for some weird reasons - to have the nagios 1.0 install all
> over the place, vs. the docs provided with the source, which are based on a
> /usr/local/nagios consolidated directory install. I spent almost a week
> adjusting all config files to take into account the new "placement", MDK9.1
> specific, and I (hope) documented everything. If anybody is interested, I can
> clean the docs up and send them over. What a PITA that was!!!

no different than what is done with Apache... the compile-from-source
package puts everything related to foobar in /usr/local/foobar because
that's where it is expected. The came-with-the-OS package (or contrib in
this case) puts all configuration in /etc, all logs in /var, all
libraries in /usr/lib, etc. That's the way distros are. If you don't
want to do it that way, then download the source from nagios.org and
configure it, then make rpm.

Besides, Nagios is a royal PITA to configure anyway... it took a week to
figure out how to do it, yes -- but conversion of my config to Oden's
RPM was only an hour. Now, figuring out that it wouldn't run in msec
level 4, that took some significant time :-)
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...