This also illustrates a problem with depending on urpmi for anything from
outside the Mandrake distro.  If you use urpmi it will crap out and not be
able to handle it if you try to install a non-native rpm.  In such a case,
you may have to rely on plain old "rpm -Uvh --nodeps <your desired rpm>" (or
you can use -ivh).  Perhaps better still, when possible, is to use rpm
- --rebuild on a source rpm.  This often results in failures because the
Makefile/software creator expects/expected a different lib naming convention
than that of Mandrake.  You may have to do a bunch of symlinks or hope there
is a static-build of your desired rpm.
  Often you will actually have the libs an rpm is complaining about not
finding, but it is merely that Mandrake has a different naming convention
than what the binary expects.  This would be one area in particular that
linux should standardize on - a single naming convention for different libs,
etc, so that no matter what, a software package will always look for the same
thing regardless of distro (it is annoying when an rpm complains about not
finding tiff-devel when you HAVE it installed, but it is called libtiff-devel
on your system).

praedor

On Sunday 15 June 2003 03:13 pm, Adrian Golumbovici wrote:
> Actually I think he has got a point and everybody misunderstood him. IMHO
> he wasn't bashing Mandrake, but merely stating a Linux general problem.
> The libraries and dependencies thing is linux is really a big PITA. Each
> time I want to install something which is not in my standard distro I have
> to go through the pains of hell for searching for dependencies. As far as
> urpmi is concerned it does a great job, but since it cannot resolve
> dependencies outside the mdk distro, it doesn't help much. I hate Winblows
> and still dream of the day when I could totally switch to linux, but linux
> is not making things very easy for us who want to switch to it. In winblows
> I don't have to give a rats ass about dependencies. Most programs come with
> the needed library statically binded or depends on libraries which are
> already in the distros of about 5 major types of winblows on the use at
> this time. Let me try to depict the Linux problem in clear:
>
> 1. Linux exists in a huge load of distro's and no real standard here. LSB
> or not, you will have real pains in trying to install even between 2
> distro's which should represent same branch of development on the major
> packages/apps.
> 2. Except few things there are still enough of the major libs which are not
> backwards compatible. Frequent install scenarios involve installing a newer
> lib as you need them for a new app and the lib changes some of the main
> links in your distro and breaks up a lot of other apps who stupidly refuse
> to run with updated libs.
> 3. BTW... Rethoric question: Who was the %&$&/ who hardcoded apps to not
> even try to run if the lib version mismatch?!? Ffs. Even if I got a 15%
> chance to succesfully run the app, let me do it. Warn me and let me decide
> if I want to experience a crash or kernel panic... :/
> 4. With linux all the apps which are beyond the basic console editing (or
> at least most of them) is a hit and miss thing to install....
>
> Oh well... My rant could continue, but I am tired and have to take a
> shower. Anyway, don't get me wrong. I am not bashing linux, I am just
> stating my frustration with linux. I've been working with it for the last 2
> years on a constant base and at home I use it as firewall and application
> server, but for my desktop no go. When it's not a missing driver problem,
> there is a mismatching library, missing kernel patch, a dumb app who
> refuses even to try to start with new library, hours of search on the net
> to try and figure a long chain of dependencies... Thank God I am stubborn
> and don't give up easily. I curse linux every day, but don't want to give
> up. Still it would be nice if I could use more time with my needed apps
> instead of most of my free time to try to get them work...
>
> Best regards,
> Adrian
>
> P.S. I am a Mandrake Linux Club member and proud of it. :)

- --
The First Amendment rests on the assumption that the widest possible
dissemination of information from diverse and antagonistic sources is
essential to the welfare of the public.
- --Justice Hugo Black

GnuPG fingerprint:
D170 2A02 B426 6AA0 5E68  3EDC 68AA FDB0 961E 4F18