On Sunday 22 June 2003 06:32 pm, Brian Schroeder wrote:
> Thanks Kelley, but my problem is with XFree86, not with lilo and booting.

> Brian.

This is a very old bug with XFree86 andS3 Trio3d cards.  It was reported on
the XFree86 mailing lists over a year ago.  With the virtual framebuffer
activated the left half or so of the screen looks normal but the right half
is repeated vertical strips of some of the left part of the screen.  I just
got through fixing this problem with my 9.1 install.  If this is your problem
(It sounded like it from the original description of it), then the simplest
work around that I've found is not to use the virtual framebuffer at all.
When booting some lines with "vga=" in it the virtual framebuffer is
activated.  From then on your display will be unusable with the XFree86
driver until you reboot without the framebuffer.  I just now (less than an
hour ago) reinstalled lilo with the framebuffer and repeated this bug.  I
have now set the linux-nonfb mode as my default boot and it eliminates this
bug.

--
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?
It said use windows 95 or better so I loaded Linux.

Kelley Terry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>