For those of you who were following/helping me with this thread, I've made
some progress - 1 step forward, 2 steps back. <grin>

Kmail has been crashing quite a bit since I upgraded to 9.1, full lockups
requiring hard resets. So...I figured it was probably something in
/home/darklord/Mail. I went into Mail and started going thru each folder,
deleting files as I went. I got to /Mail/sent-mail/cur and encountered a
really odd problem, one I've not seen before. From KDE, right-clicking on the
cur folder, and using delete OR from a shell, "rm -f -r cur" causes a very
spontaneous reboot. No warnings, no errors, no messages at all - just goes to
a black screen, and a normal startup, just as if you were turning the comp.
on for the first time that day. Suspiciously like when I run "updatedb".
So...I go to /etc/updatedb.conf and exclude my /home directory. Voila!
"updatedb" now runs and completes with no problems. However, this still
leaves me with a directory in /home/darklord/Mail/cur that can't be deleted.

I finally did a "mv Mail .Mail-old", reran Kmail and so far its been behaving.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of a rogue directory? Obviously there
is something in it that Linux abhors (as do I!)  :-)

Thanks.

--

                                                          /\
                                                  Dark><Lord