On Mon Jun 23, 2003 at 05:17:50PM -0400, Charles A Edwards wrote:

> > I'm a total n00b when it comes to X and different cards and even
> > trying some ATI binary drivers resulted in nothing happening and I've
> > been told that the 8500 should work "out of the box".
>
> I can not give specific help with the 8500 but I am using a 9600 Pro on
> a cooker system.
> Using the vesa server at 1280x1024 at 16bps with vga=normal

You boot the kernel with vga=normal?

> I have attached my XF86Config-4
>
> The drivers from ATI can be a problem in that the driver you meed to
> use is dependent upon your version of XFree And your version of glibc.

Yeah.  I'm currently trying to rebuild 4.2.1 for 9.1 since the ATI drivers
work with 4.1 and 4.2... not 4.3.

> The r128 used to be a very well supported 3d card but with each new
> release of XFree that support has dwindled.
> I can still run it at my normal resolution but I have had to disable dri
> to prevent X from constantly freezing.

Sounds like the same problem I was having with the r128 card that used to be
in this machine.

With this vesa driver, are you getting a decent FPS?  I'm (currently)
getting 320FPS and that really really bites.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
Online Security Resource Book; http://linsec.ca/