On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 Jul 2003 3:49 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> > I would also like to be able to send internal mail to other users on
> > the lan.  At the moment I have to use their address on our domain,
> > sending it externally, which seems silly when we could communicate
> > through a few walls.
> >
> Well, I found how to set up a local mailbox in kmail, and I set sendmail
> as the protocol.  Right?  I sent the first message to a windows machine,
> but another Mandrake machine should be on soon, so I'll send one there
> too and see what happens.
>
> Next question, then.  How do I set up the windows machines to be able to
> send/receive local mail?

Well, you don't, exactly ... as you're already aware, Windows machines are
fairly brain-dead, and you can only do so much with them. ;)

What you /can/ do is to have your Mandrake system handle the local mail
for everyone on the LAN, and have the Winboxes deal with that for the
sending and receiving thereof.

You'll need to set up users on the Mandrake box for each individual who
will be receiving mail; these users do not need login privileges, and can
have their default shell set to "/bin/false" to prevent this (can be done
with Userdrake, as they are created). Pseudo-users can also be configured
in the /etc/aliases file, so that sending a mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
will distribute copies to several specific users automatically. Remember
to always run "newaliases", then "postfix reload", after changing the
aliases file.

To get the Winboxes to communicate with this setup, you need two things on
anne-linux: a copy of Postfix that will accept mail from other IPs on the
LAN, and a POP and/or IMAP server that will let those systems retrieve
their mail from your system. Postfix you already have, for POP/IMAP you
install the "imap200*" RPM from the CDs.

The imap RPM installs with POP turned on by default, and the other three
protocols it offers can be turned on with chkconfig:

chkconfig imap on
chkconfig imaps on
chkconfig pop3s on

(It offers a fifth protocol, POP2, but you don't need that.)

After doing this, the xinetd daemon will need to be restarted (it handles
starting and stopping these services when they are required). You'll also
need to add a line like the following to your /etc/hosts.allow file:

ALL : 192.168.0.

This allows access to these services to boxes on the 192.168.0.X network.

You then configure the Winboxes' mail clients by setting up accounts that
point to anne-linux's IP address for both SMTP sending and POP3 (or IMAP)
retrieval, with the email addresses of "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" (you can use
the FQDN for anne-linux if you wish, but for this sort of local delivery
arrangement it's not needed). These accounts on the Windows MUAs are in
addition to the existing ones, not in place of them, to be clear.

If I've left anything out, someone will mention it; if you have questions
(or concerns I haven't addressed), let us know. This is quite doable.

HTH!

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people