On Friday 18 July 2003 04:38 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I have some folders set up to use specific accounts, but my default
> 'From' is this one.  For some strange reason I keep finding that mail
> fails to go out because it has used the local account instead of this
> one.  I have checked the settings and the default settings haven't
> been changed.  Anyone have any ideas what's happening?  External mail
> just doesn't go out when it just comes from 'anne' <g>

I'll try to help, with two caveats: I'm not a regular Kmail user (actually, I
just set it up to see what you may see ... it's not half bad these days <g>),
and also I'm running 9.0 w/ KDE 3.05a, so what you see may differ somewhat
from what I describe anyway. But throwing caution to the wind, and taking the
whole procedure as if it were being done from scratch (for clarity's sake),
here goes nothing ... ;)

With this incarnation of Kmail, at least, what you want to do is to first
create a second "Sending" account (Settings -> Configure Kmail -> Network ->
Sending -> Add); make it of type "SMTP", give it a name like "LocalSMTP", and
make the host "localhost". OK your way out, and ensure that the
previously-existing Sending account - the one which points to your ISP's SMTP
server - is still marked as "(Default)"; if not, move it up until it is.

Next, you want to create a new and separate identity (Settings -> Configure
Kmail -> Identity -> New) by duplicating the settings from your "Default"
identity, then changing the email address (General tab) to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
(or to anne@ the FQDN, whichever). You then move over to the "Advanced" tab,
check the "Special Transport" box, and select "LocalSMTP" from the two
choices now appearing there . This new identity can have any name you like,
but pick something other than "LocalSMTP", to avoid any confusion later on
(just "Local" is fine here; we'll postulate that for now).

Henceforth, any messages you send using the "Default" identity should use the
SMTP server defined as the "(Default)" under Network -> Sending (your ISP's),
and any messages sent under the "Local" identity will use the "LocalSMTP"
setting (your local Postfix server).

To be absolutely sure that there is no mix-up in this regard, you can go to
the Identity section of the settings window, "Default" identity, "Advanced"
tab, and explicitly set the "Special transport" for /that/ identity to the
name of the one that points to your ISP's server. Then there should be no
mistake as to which mail goes out via which server in the future.

You then associate individual folders with the identity you wish to use when
posting from them, by right=clicking on each name in the folder list and
selecting "Properties", then setting that folder's preferred identity from
the drop-down list.

>From my few minutes of experimentation, it appears that when starting a new
message, it will default to using whichever identity is set for the folder
you currently have open. This bears watching, because if you are in a folder
which is set to use the "Local" identity, and wish to create a wholly new
message (say, a post to this list), it will try to use the "Local" identity
due to where you're sitting when you start the process, when you'd really
rather it use the "Default" one this time. You'll need to switch identities
(above the "To:" box) before sending that mail.

Perhaps this last bit is at the root of the current crop of misdirected mails.

Postfix can be told to send these out via your ISP's SMTP server, but you
probably don't want that, as the "From:" address on them may be wrong. Best
to just resend those, by going into your "sent-mail" folder, right-clicking
on each, choosing "Redirect", and adjusting the identity on them to the one
you want to use before hitting "Send". Postfix will give up trying to send
the copies that it got after five days (and will tell you so when it does).

To see just which messages Postfix is trying and failing to send, type "mailq"
at a prompt; it should show you enough to determine which ones they are.

HTH!

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people