For K3b use the latest version which is 9.0, you also need the latest
version of cdrecord for this , thats on cooker .
the redhat rpm for k3b works ok MDK9.1

Red Hat 9 packages for k3b v0.9 are available from
http://fenrir.infoiasi.ro/~xcyborg/k3b , or if you prefer the direct
links:

http://fenrir.infoiasi.ro/~xcyborg/k3b/k3b-0.9.rh9.i386.rpm
http://fenrir.infoiasi.ro/~xcyborg/k3b/k3b-0.9.rh9.i686.rpm