AAW wrote:
On Sunday 20 July 2003 10:53 am, Rolf Pedersen wrote:

On Mandrake 9.1, with lm_sensors-2.7.0-2mdk, I have run
sensors-detect and accepted the default settings.  The oddity is that
the sensors command, or gkrellm, or ksensors only show the value (at
least for temps, which is obvious) that exists at boot time.  In
other words, first boot on a cool morning will show a relatively low
temp that does not change throughout the session.  Subsequent boots
will show a, logically, warmer temp that, also, does not vary.  This
has been the case from the stock kernel through the current
2.4.21-0.18mm-mdk.  I've just noticed the following message in syslog
and wonder if it suggests some clue to anyone?

Jul 20 08:30:53 localhost kernel: i2c-ali1535.o: Resetting entire SMB
Bus to clear busy co
ndition (08)
Jul 20 08:30:53 localhost kernel: i2c-ali1535.o: SMBus reset failed!
(0x08) - controller o
r device on bus is probably hung

Rolf

Check out /usr/share/doc/lm_sensors-2.7.0/doc/FAQ, #4.11. I haven't messed with lm_sensors for a while, but can't you use the ISA bus for some chips? I think the option is mentioned during the sensors-detect routine.

Good Luck,
Arn

Thanks for that tip, Arn. It seems like that could be what is happening. BTW, this is on an IWill XP333-R. I tried the isa-bus configuration but got 'no sensors found' for that. Oh well, it's not that compelling a problem for me to invest a lot of energy in it right now ;)

Rolf