On Wednesday 30 Jul 2003 10:23 pm, Jan Wilson wrote:
> * Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [030730 14:53]:
> >
> > I did this, but /usr appears as a subdirectory of /holding.  What
> > can I do about this?
>
> That SHOULD have put everything under /usr into /holding  ...  but
> if you see /holding/usr/<lots of stuff>  you can do:
>
> mv /holding/usr/* /holding/
>
> Then you should be able to remove /holding/usr because it should be
> empty:
>
> rmdir /holding/usr

OK - done that, and everything looks fine.

> > I can change /holding to /usr, but the old /usr is not a
> > partition, but a directory.  Do I just mv /usr /holding?
>
> If at this point, you have identical directories/files under /usr
> and under /holding, and /holding is a partition, then you won't
> need to use mv to change /holding to /usr ... you'll do that by
> changing the mount points in /etc/fstab.
>
> What makes this a little tricky is that when you reboot, you'll
> have the same stuff in the new /usr as in what will be a kind of
> phantom /usr that was mounted under /  ...  it's like what happens
> if you copy something into /mnt/floppy while there is no floppy
> disk mounted. When you mount the floppy, the stuff that was there
> will appear to be gone, replaced by whatever is on the floppy.
> Then when you unmount the floppy, the stuff that was there before
> you mounted the floppy will appear.
>
> I think it means that when you explicitly mount something, it takes
> precedence over an existing link, so if the new /usr works, you'll
> have to find a way to unmount the /usr partition, delete what is in
> the /usr partition under /  (and probably that /usr directory also)
> and then remount your partition that holds the stuff from /usr.

Since by this time the new /usr will be mounted, are you saying that I
won't be able to see the original /usr?  If it's still there as a
directory, can't I just delete the directory once I'm sure everything
is ok?

> This is why I like using Knoppix ... it's easier for me to
> understand and be sure of what is going on with the partitions when
> they're all mounted as /mnt/hda5, /mnt/hda6, etc.
>
> Hope this made it clearer rather than murkier  ;-)

I'm getting there <g>  thanks to you all.

Anne