On Thursday 31 Jul 2003 9:55 am, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 01:02, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Just doing a last check before carrying on with the procedure,
> > when I found things that concern me.
> >
> > /holding has a locked /lost+found directory
> >
> > Some directory sizes are not identical with their /usr sources:
> >
> > /bin - old 44.0 KB, new 36 KB
> > /include - old 16 KB, new 12 KB
> > /lib - old 44 KB, new 40 KB
> >
> > The contents of /bin, in both cases shows 1956 items - 1955 files
> > (135.8 MB Total)
> >
> > /include and /lib appear to be equally matched, so what exactly
> > is being reported by these differences?
>
> I bet you did cp not cp -a.... So that happened is that the
> symlinks in the original dir  became files in the new directory.
> The -a is archive and what it does is copy symlinks as symlinks
> (hard or soft) regular ol cp sees 2 files and copies them over.

Honestly, James, I copied the command exactly as it was given - cp -a
/usr/* /holding/  then checked it carefully before hitting enter.

Then I followed Jan's mv /holding/usr/* /holding/

I presume that since the correct number of files are reported, and the
correct size inside the directory it should be ok to continue?

Anne