On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Thursday 31 Jul 2003 10:14 pm, Bill Mullen wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > /etc/fstab:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > /dev/hde10 /holding ext3 user,defaults 1 2
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Yup. Get rid of that "user," option. Unmount and remount (as root).
> > Then:
> >
> > rm -fR /holding/*
> > cp -a /usr/* /holding/
> >
> > That should give better results.
>
> Right, Bill.  I'm going to give this a try.  Is there any way I will
> know if it really is better before I hose up my system again<g> ?

Sure, you mount it over the old one (as per Jack's instructions), and try
an app or three - you don't even need to run the "telinit 5" testing step
until you're satisfied that the basic CLI apps work; I'd suggest something
like "cdrecord -scanbus" or "iptraf" or "traceroute", pretty much anything
that lives somewhere in /usr ... if that works, then proceed to the full
"telinit 5" test. If anything fails, unmount it.

If you find any odd size discrepancies like you were seeing before, then
before you mount it as /usr (IOW, while it's still mounted as /holding),
check the md5sums of both the originals and the copies of a few such
files, and compare them. If they match, then the files are identical, no
matter what ls is telling you. We can tackle that later; just don't delete
those original /usr files until everything is completely kosher. :)

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are