On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 00:49, Joerg Mertin wrote:
> Hi Stef,
>
> On Friday 01 August 2003 04:18, stefmit wrote:
> [...]
> > I see that everybody insists in this cp -a issue. As I said in my previous
> > emails, directed to Anne only: cp is NOT the best choice of doing this. I
> > had problems in the past caused by hardlinks, I think even device files
> > (when cloning a whole disk), etc. If you ever decide to recopy those,
> > please try:
> >
> > # find <directory_to_be_copied> -depth -print | cpio -adpuvm
> > /mnt/your_new_disk
> >
> > with minor variations (pruning undesired paths, before piping to cpio, or
> > removing some of those options (at a minimum -puvd, though)).
> >
> > NOTE: Pruning would be necessary when cloning a whole disk (replacing
> > <directory_to_be_copied> with "/"), for things like /mnt, /proc, ...
>
> I actually never had problems with "cp -a" - back at university when I had
> developped one of the first unattended installation/recovery/setup systems
> for the 120 Computers they had there - I hsed cpio/gzip over the net (with
> rsh). So - in this regard - you are right. However - I think it is time to
> have something like "clone" program for Linux - that will do it.

I've used partimage for just this... One downside.  It creates "images"
that are the same size as the original partition.  So it operates on MB
not on %.  What would be nice is if there was a way to resize a file
"image" not just a file system. (ie pull the image to a holding area
resize the image, put it on the new drive with the newer larger/smaller
size.)

Years ago a guy at our then office wrote a program that did disk to disk
copy and did it by percentage  So that say on a 100mb drive / was 50% of
a drive or 50MB, on a new 200mb drive / would become 50% of the new
drive or 100MB.  I've been trying for the last year to convince him to
port it to Linux (from FreeBSD) but ... to no avail (so far).

James