On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 05:42, Jack Coates wrote:
> this is so cool I gotta share...
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/x2vnc/?topic_id=55
>
> at work I have a RH box (eh) and an XP box (blech.) I need to use them
> both a lot. I was using rdesktop to go back and forth, but then my two
> 17-inch monitors aren't being used optimally :-)
>
> put the monitors side by side.
> install VNC server on Windows
> install x2vnc on Linux
> shove the Windows keyboard and mouse under the monitor stand
> presto chango, we have an integrated desktop. Mouse, keyboard, and
> clipboard shift seamlessly from one desktop to the other.

My favourite app for such circumstances is Synergy:

  http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

>From the FAQ [http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/faq.html]:

  # What's the difference between synergy and x2x, x2vnc, etc?

  Unlike x2x, synergy supports any number of computers and it doesn't require X
  on Microsoft Windows platforms. It also has more advanced clipboard support
  and synchronizes screensavers. x2vnc is also limited to two computers,
  requires the separate vnc package, and is really only appropriate for using
  an X system to control a non-X system. However, the right tool for the job is
  whatever tool works best for you.

I have used Synergy from a GNU/Linux machine to control other GNU/Linux and
Windows machines. The 'stable' version gave me trouble but the latest
development version works very well.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {PGP/GnuPG: http://dhanapalan.com/yama.asc

        "And I have to say that I absolutely despise the BSD people...
        Oh, well. Not everybody can be as goodlooking as me. It's a curse."
                                -- Linus Torvalds