On Tuesday 12 August 2003 10:11 pm, Joćo Candido A. Milasch Filho wrote:
> Hi! I sent this message b4 to newbie list, but I got absolute no answer.
> I hope someone can help me here...
>
> Thus, I tried to run telnetd from xinetd, no success, tried to configure
> the listening ports to the standard ports, and got no success.
> Shorewall is not installed, iptables is empty, netstat shows listening
> entries corresponding to the service I tried to run, but i can connect only
> from my local machine. no friends could connect to my computer.
>
> Thanx all!!!

> Hello all, me again!
>
> As I sent before, I'm trying to use SSH server in home, to access on my
> work. But as I said b4, my work firewall is blocking almost all outgoing
> ports. So, i have to use SSH on the port 80. I successfully ran the daemon
> on the port 80. To see that, I just netstat -pln, and saw an entry like
> this:
> LOCAL                         FOREIGN
> 0.0.0.0:80                   0.0.0.0:0                      sshd blah blah
>
> Whel, with that, I knew it was listening correctly on the port 80. So to
> try it out, I tried from the same machine I was running sshd to use ssh. So
> I did:
>
> $ ssh -l my_user_name -p 80 127.0.0.1
>
> It worked fine. Then I asked a friend to connect on my ssh server, and
> told'im to do:
> $ ssh -l usr_name -p 80 200.100.100.100 (where 200.100.100.100 was my
> internet IP address on that time). But he couldn't connect.
>
> My firewall was disabled, I cleared out my lname (or something like that)
> but my friend was still unable to connect on my ssh server.
>
> Anyone knows what can I do to figure out whats happening?

Is your isp blocking inbound traffic on port 80 to prevent web servers from
running on the network?  That would be a cruel catch 22 if it is true.  Work
only allows outbound on port 80, while home allows all inbound but port 80.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx