On Tuesday 12 August 2003 10:56 pm, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 August 2003 10:11 pm, Joćo Candido A. Milasch Filho wrote:
> > Hi! I sent this message b4 to newbie list, but I got absolute no answer.
> > I hope someone can help me here...
<SNIP>
> > Anyone knows what can I do to figure out whats happening?
>
> Is your isp blocking inbound traffic on port 80 to prevent web servers from
> running on the network?  That would be a cruel catch 22 if it is true.
> Work only allows outbound on port 80, while home allows all inbound but
> port 80.

Actually, it could be worse than that.  You may not even have a "real" ip
address.  Sometime an ISP will act as subnet on the internet, in order to
conserve IP addresses (much like a local router would do, but on a larger
scale.)  If you're on a dial-up connection, this is most likely the case, and
may be even if you have a "broadband" connection.  If your IP address starts
with 192. or 10., that's a dead giveaway, but there are other reserved ranges
as well that I don't know off the top of my head.

Can your friends ping your ip address?  If so, this is not (probably, unless
they're really ping'ing someone else) your problem.

-Jason

When treading water in a circle of sharks, a wizard will always consider other
wizards to be the most immediate danger.
(The Last Continent)