David Guntner wrote:

I've got something weird going on and hope someone can help me out here.

I'm running ML 9.1 with the latest version (from the update site) of the
various packages.  I've got a CD Writer (HP 9100i) installed in the slave
on the secondary IDE controller.

Mandrake sees it and harddrake configured it to mount on /mnt/cdrom2. When running harddrake, it sees the device as /dev/hdd, and claims that it
is a cd burner device. So far, so good.

Now, when running k3b to try to burn some tracks or whatever, when I start
the program, I first get a pop-up window saying that it can't find a file
called /nonemntcdrom2, which I click on OK to get rid of.  When going into
the k3b configure screen (from the option menu), it shows both of my CD
drives (one a DVD ROM and the other the CD writer), and it even identifies
both devices by name and so on.  But they both show up under the CD Reader
tree.  The CD Writer tree is empty.

So the question is, how do I get k3b to recognize the CD writer as a CD
writer?

Any help/pointers/etc. would be appreciated.

--Dave

1. Take a look at your /etc/fstab file. see if you have and entry for "none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount ...................

2. Look in the file /etc/lilo.conf and that you have an append line that has the cdwriter as "hdd=ide-scsi". This will id it as a cdwriter. You ca also set the regular cd or dvd as scsi by placing in in the append line "hdc=ide-scsi".
*** By making changes in the lilo.conf file you must run (as root) lilo -v *** Then reboot

3. Check in the /dev folder to insure you have the links for @cdrom, @crdom0, @cdrom1 pointing to the correct device. Say /dev/cdroms and /or /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0 or target1.

4. Once thing are set correctly you should rerun K3b Setup.

I have supermount and K3b runs flawlessly.

Larry

--
Abit VP-6 Dual Pentium III 1GHz
Mandrake 9.1