On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 22:29, David Guntner wrote:
> Vincent Danen grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> >
> > I don't think that will work as you'll need to be root to chroot IIRC.  What
> > you could do is write a script that does the chroot and call it via sudo,
> > then do something like "/usr/bin/sudo /somescript/chrootuser" which does the
> > chroot call as root.
> >
> > You're right about the environment tho.  You'll need to have a /bin/bash in
> > the chroot and then recreate the libs it wants or recompile it static.
> >
> > You could also use /bin/rbash which is somewhat better than just bash, but
> > not as nice as chroot (but a lot easier to setup).
>
> I look at the bash manpage, in the section which mentions rbash.
> Unfortunately, that's *too* restricted for my needs. :-)  I need to be able
> to cd to directories within the user's home directory for the game server
> to actually work.  Well, it was a thought anyway.  Thanks for the
> suggestions, everyone.
>
>                  --Dave

Dave,
   If this server is going to be heavily used.  And by a lot of
"unknowns" you might consider install the NSA patches and running SE
Linux (note it's not a distro, but patches to secure your favorite
distro.)... A quick article here

And I believe the July issue had a more in depth article on it.  Man
with this one you can even make it so that root can't do things, control
time/access level/usage in all kinds of way.  Neat stuff.

James