Robert W. grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 02:49, David Guntner wrote:
>> Robert W. grabbed a keyboard and wrote:logging
>> > On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 21:05, David Guntner wrote:
>> > What about changing the shell to "/bin/false". Will that prevent
themimplement
>> > getting a login shell?
>>
>> If I can't login as the player set up to run the server, it will be kind
>> of hard to start up screen and then start the actual server
>> program.... :-)
>
> Sorry, I assumed the server was started through a script in /etc/init.d.
> You could also use 'sudo' to start the server with the proper user. Then
> you don't have to log in as that user.

The nature of the Neverwinter Nights game server is such that it needs to
be interactive for me to make manual settings changes on the fly.
Therefor, an interactive shell is needed to start up screen (which keeps
things running when logged out) and then run the server.  Thus, doing
something which prohibits logging in outright is not an option.

As I said in my first message, this is not *that* big of a thing.  I don't
think that anyone can do something which would result in crashing the
server process and ending up in a shell as a result.  If there was a
relatively easy way to chroot jail the user to its own home directory, I'd
be all for it.  But from what I've read in the other responses, it seems
like it will be more trouble that it's worth to implement.

          --Dave