lorne wrote:

On Tuesday 02 September 2003 11:14 am, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:

lorne wrote:

On Tuesday 02 September 2003 10:44 am, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:

This illustrates my point perfectly. When you initiated the transfer on
the Linux box it took around two minutes to do the transfer, and you
called it fast (blast). I repeated that behavior in my own setup. I
got the same results when initiating the transfer on my Mandrake box
using Konqueror and command line (cp). I call it slow because when I
initiate the transfer on the Win2000 box, using Windows Explorer, I get
the same transfer done in under a minute. Why the huge difference in
speed?

? I think we are talking bananas and apples here. If you read my message,
I stated that after about 9 minutes of transferring the files, I stopped
the XP to linux copy and it was still not done. About 1-2 minutes the
other way around. HUGE difference. You are saying a factor of 2 the
opposite direction of what I'm seeing. I'd be most interested in knowing
how you got that. If I could even get a 2:1 factor I'd be most happy
indeed! I don't have hours to copy something that should take minutes.
makes a linux server rather useless for files no?

I'm claiming a doubling in speed to or from either machine as long as
the transfer is initiated by the Windows machine.  If you initiate the
transfer on the Linux machine (using cp, Konqueror, or Nautilus), you
will get a slow transfer.

hen the issue you are having is not the same thing I'm having. Pure and simple.

After reading the rest of your post I agree.

I'm getting roughly 150mb a minute from my linux box to XP (either direction initiated from the Linux box) 4-5mb a sec.

This is also what I am getting (half as slow as when initiated by Windows).

From the XP box to (either direction initiated from the XP box) the linux box I'm getting roughly .2 mb a minute!

That kind of speed can definitely get in the way of getting anything done. :-(

A two minute transfer for a file that size may be fast compared to a
totally broken setup, but it is still half as fast as it should be.  The
question is: what needs to be done to have file transfers initiated in
Linux get the same transfer speed experienced when they are initiated by
Windows?

The same thing can be said for transfers between Linux and Linux.  It
experiences the same crippled transfer speed.  The common thread being
the transfer is initiated on a Linux box.

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Linux user #322847 | Linux machine #207465 | http://counter.li.org/
   AMD Duron 1.3GHz | Mandrake 9.1 | Kernel 2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk
               KDE 3.1.3 | Mozilla 1.4 Mail Client
Uptime:
16:35:01 up 4 days, 21:36,  1 user,  load average: 0.32, 0.16, 0.11

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident."
                                -Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)