None of my boxes start 'dm' at boot time nor run in runlevel 5. This is one of
the reasons I do this. If I am setting a box up for someone I will make sure
it comes up in runlevel 3 at least until I am ready to hand the box over. It
makes setting up/dealing with X configuration much easier. This means checking
/etc/inittab and doing a: chkconfig --list dm

The file that holds the config information is /etc/X11/XF86Config(-4)
depending on whether you are running version 3 or 4 of XFree86.

If I want to test the setup, outside of XFdrake, I will type startx or
something similar from a command line to check it. You can pop back to the
virtual console that you started it from and just crtl-c to shut X down.

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 06 Sep 2003 5:12 pm, Eric Huff wrote:
>
>>>OK - I'm in failsafe, logged in as root.  I have XFdrake showing
>>>a menu in text mode on screen.  I can move around the menu, but I
>>>can't change anything.  What am I missing?
>>
>>Here is how it works for me:
>>
>>up down arrow moves in the menu
>>
>>tab moves between menu and quit and do
>>
>>enter pushes a quit or do button
>

> Hi, Eric.  Well, I'm not sure whether it was the curry, the wine or
> hitting the keyboard harder, but I finally got it to accept my input.
> It's up and running, and downloading all the security updates now.
>
> Thanks to you, Joerg, James and everyone else who has tried to help
> me.  It's been a struggle, but it's worth it.
>
> Anne

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

- --
KevinO

"If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in the library?"
- -- Lily Tomlin