On Saturday 06 Sep 2003 7:57 pm, KevinO wrote:
> None of my boxes start 'dm' at boot time nor run in runlevel 5.
> This is one of the reasons I do this. If I am setting a box up for
> someone I will make sure it comes up in runlevel 3 at least until I
> am ready to hand the box over. It makes setting up/dealing with X
> configuration much easier. This means checking /etc/inittab and
> doing a: chkconfig --list dm
>
> The file that holds the config information is
> /etc/X11/XF86Config(-4) depending on whether you are running
> version 3 or 4 of XFree86.
>
> If I want to test the setup, outside of XFdrake, I will type startx
> or something similar from a command line to check it. You can pop
> back to the virtual console that you started it from and just
> crtl-c to shut X down.

The whole graphics setup was horribly wrong.  It had the wrong card
driver and was using XFree86 -3 on a crt monitor.  Once I found that
in XFdrake  keeping the line highlighted, tabbing to Do, then hitting
Enter pretty hard <!!!> I could *persuade* it to give me options I
was on my way.  I changed card, monitor and XFree86 version.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302