Patricia Fraser wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm hoping that someone will have been through this! I've got a new PC, and I'm attempting an install of 8.2 (waiting for the 9.1 CDs to arrive). I've installed ALSA, with some success - the sound is an onboard VIA8233/AC97, and I can play MP3s, I'm getting some noises out of KDE even though arts is complaining mightily - but I can't get a peep out of a CD. Is this back-to-front or what?

The CD is a CD/RW, and is set up in fstab as scd0; it works beautifully as a data CD, and I've successfully ripped tracks using grip - and the resulting files sound great in XMMS! but I can't hear a thing when the CD is playing.

I looked at the Wiki, and saw Regis' suggestions - when I ll /dev/cdrom I get

/dev/cdrom -> cdroms/cdrom0

and when I ll /dec/scd0 I get

/dev/scd0 -> scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd

so I think that's okay.

Any clues where to look for answers?

This may be a silly question, but have you checked kmix to make sure the volume is turned up for CD playback? Also, I'm assuming there is a sound cable from the CD to the sound card or motherboard.

Joeb