Patricia Fraser wrote:

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 22:22:30 -0500

Joeb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

This may be a silly question, but have you checked kmix to make
sure the volume is turned up for CD playback? Also, I'm assuming
there is a sound cable from the CD to the sound card or
motherboard.

I put one dozen Krispy Kremes on the Kmix!

Alas! I have Bad News for you <g> - mixer is fine (I think I told in my original post that I was hearing stuff - alsamixer is fine, kmix is fine, cd plugin is fine in XMMS (CD is working - grip is ripping tracks no problem) - Argh! It might be the cable. I was hoping for software; there's this Intimidating Sticker on the case saying Do Not Remove. Goshdarnit.

8-)

If you try playing it in KsCD do you get the same results? As for the mixers, even though you hear wav files and mp3s, etc. that doesn't guarantee that the audio for the CD itself is enabled (although you indicate it is in your case). CD playback uses a different mixer setting than the regular volume control. Could very well be the cable. :(

Joeb