On Sunday 07 Sep 2003 5:07 pm, Francisco wrote:
> But bascule,
>
> If you use postfix you do need to buy a domain name, don't you?

No.

So long as your ISP offers SMTP delivery postfix will work. If you don't
have smtp delivery then fetchmail will pull mail from POP3 mailboxes
and deliver it to your Linux mail system. Fetchmail may also send mail
to your ISP with SMTP, I don't know, I don't use it myself. If not then
you can use postfix for that.

A domain name is something you should look into though, it is not
expensive, (under GBP7 for .org.uk, for two years,) and even without
postfix etc it can make your life a lot easier if you want to change
ISPs.

For example 123-reg.co.uk, (and I think, lots of others,) offer mail
redirection. so you just redirect [EMAIL PROTECTED] to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

When you change isp, you just change the redirect, and your email
address stays the same.

--
Richard Urwin