On Sunday 07 September 2003 07:26 pm, Richard Urwin wrote:
> > Postfix will make a direct smtp connection with the recipient's mail
> > server and you can use it to send without using it to receive, in
> > fact that is what I am doing right now.  This message was delivered
> > to the list via postfix running on my machine, and you don't need a
> > domain name for that.  The only problem with this is that some isp's
> > block smtp port 25 and require you to use their mail servers instead
> > in an effort to block spammers.
>
> Blocking port 25 only affects incoming mail. If you use POP3 to receive
> then it wont affect you.

My understanding is that my isp can block (it doesn't, some do) port 25 at
it's router/firewall so that my machine cannot make a smtp connection to any
other machine outside of its network.  This forces me to use their smtp
server for all outgoing mail.

Also, Roadrunner blocks port 25 connections from dynamic ip address ranges, so
I cannot send a message to someone using roadrunner using postfix.  I have to
use my isp's smtp server for that too.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx