On Sunday 07 September 2003 11:04 am, Adrian Golumbovici wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Am back again with a small prob. :) After I saw the electricity invoice and
> recovered from the heart attack:) I decided I might want to stop keeping my
> server/firewall online all the time. I only have a small server and is
> mostly experimental and only for a few friends which mostly sleep at night.
> :) On the other hand, having to connect to it, shut it down and then having
> to wait till it starts when I need it again might not be something I want
> to do each day. :) So the last solution that crosses my mind is to make it
> go into standby. The problem is that I want it to go in standby when no
> activity from it is required. No activity would mean no incoming requests
> from the clients inside the network. Is it possible to make my Mandrake 9.1
> server go into standby only when no network traffic for like 15 minutes or
> so. On the other hand, will it wake up from standby if incoming network
> traffic or do I have to move mouse/ hit any key on keyboard? When in
> standby mode, will it drop the adsl connection or will it remain online?
> How much (aproximately in percents) does the power need sink when in
> standby mode? Thx in advance for your help.

I think with the new motherboards that incoming modem rings will turn power
on, mouse movement, keyboard strokes, but I don't recall nic traffic with the
exception of wol frames. Because traffic is always coming through, it would
always be awake no?

I'm very curious, is electricity that expensive where you are? It appears you
are across the big pond. Would a solar voltaic cell and battery be out of the
question to keep it running? Most only burn about  150watts to run just the
computer. ?