On Tuesday September 9 2003 04:45 pm, Charlie M. wrote:

> September 9, 2003 03:02 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > On Tuesday September 9 2003 01:34 pm, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> > > From NL it should be at your adress on Thursday or Friday at
> > > the most.
> > >
> > > OOps, withdrawing that: I dloaded RC1.
> > > Sticking head in toilet and flushing..
> > >
> > > Good luck,
> > > HarM
> >
> >   There's been a sh!+load of updates since RC2. Just update
> > RC1, probly easier than re-getting RC2.
> >
> > urpmi.update -a -f --wget && urpmi --wget --no-verify-rpm
> > --auto-select -v,  on the main mirrors.
> >
> >   At least they didn't play bittorrent games this time. Best
> > way to turn broadband into a 14,4K dialup connection IMO.
>
> We did (are doing) the torrent thing Tom,

   I know. Some people like abuse ;>

> just not limiting the
> downloads to the torrent.

   When I got up this mornin to find the RC2 iso's were on the
mirrors, I was readin the cooker list. Sure enough a plea to run
bittorrent.  So what'a hey, I tried it for a while. Started with
30KB/s incoming, 0 to 3K upload. After ten minutes it was 0 to 3
incoming and 10 KB upload. I reckon in ten minutes I'd already
d/l'd the sum of the pool that was available, an everybody else was
suckin on me for all I'm worth. So I quit that worthless BS, and
d/l'd the iso's from sunsite.

   I'd like to believe that the iso's were available from ftp at the
same time as bittorcrap, after the rants me an a few others voiced
the last time (see above) about the iso's not being on the mirrors,
and only at first by bitchtorrent.

> I'm still feeding a 60 kilobyte stream
> back up even though I rsynced the RC1 ISOs from sunet rather than
> waiting forever for the torrent to do anything. I tried it
> (briefly) just for grins and giggles and the download speed was
> actually acceptable this time. I set max-upload at 500 and was
> tripping 40 to 55 KB both ways. Not fast but not bad.

  I've never had any luck with rsync. Screwed up mirrors, package
version naming convention changes, can really fsck'ya. Plus I don't
wanna maintain a local mirror. Like most all cookers, I stay
current with urpmi --auto-select on cooker Net mirrors.  As to
upstream, most broadband connections here in the States like mine
are very skewed. I get at 1.5Mbit, but only give at 128Kbit.
(actually more like 145KBytes down, 10KBytes up).

  Like I say, bittorrent is a good way to turn a 145KB connection
into a 10KB one (at best). P2P sucks in the first place. It's good
for [EMAIL PROTECTED], if ya believe in that stuff.

> Will that command you provided above work against my local (hdb5)
> cooker? It should right?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Charlie

 urpmi.update -a -f --wget && urpmi --wget --no-verify-rpm
 --auto-select -v,  on the main mirrors

   I add sources by hand, manage them with 'edit-<Tab>s<Tab>'
which runs Software Sources Manager, where just a click will
enable/disable mirrors. Most of the time (musical cooker mirrors,
which one is worth a fsck today??), I only enable one mirror.
Lately I enable 2 or 3 simultaneously that I have some previous
confidence in an know that mirror different primary mirrors (sunet,
sunsite).

  'Course you know the -a means all sources, the -f forces a hdlist
(I just get synthesis) download. I've found --wget more reliable
than curl. --no-verify-rpm just saves headaches over the fsck'd up
signed/unsigned/wrongly signed cooker packages lately. No, it's not
for updating from your local mirror.

   Actually all I do is type 'cook' to stay current,
alias cook='urpmi.update -a -f --wget && urpmi --wget
--no-verify-rpm --auto-select -v'    An update from a fresh RC1
install lately (yeah I got really screwed by the bad initscripts
update last week), took little more than an hour. I reckon about
the same to get past RC2, with a RC1 to current update now.