On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 11:59:12AM -0400, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
> Do you ever watch sports?  Take the US Open that just wrapped up last
> weekend.
>
> With the name *J.P. MorganChase* is plastered all over the walls of the
> courts in Arthur Ash stadium with the *IBM* scoreboard high above the
> crowd Andy Roddick received the US Open trophy along with a check for
> $1,000,000 from *Ford Motor Company* while wearing an outfit from
> *Reebok*.  Afterwards you are taken to commercials by *Citizen*,
[...]
> When I see this kind of sponsorship for an event I don't get the
> impressions that this is a sign of a horrible product that needs to be
> propped up by various thrid parties.  I get the impression that people
> want to be associated with the event because of the benefits of the
> association.
[...]

See, here our perceptions differ. When I see sport events plastered
with advertisement in that way, it looks to me as if the only thing
it's about is *money*, not sport. So, yes: Apparently, the actualy
product is *poor*. That perception gets even worse when I see how much
influence the so called "sponsors" try to gain on the sport they
"sponsor". I've heard enought discussions about wishes for rule
changes to make the sport look nicer on TV so the ads get seen better.
Puh-lease!

I sincerely hope, that MDK is never forced to go down that route.

Cheerio,

Thomas
                Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org