On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 08:54, Miark wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:21:34 +0200, "T. Ribbrock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > How is that a logical conclusion? Just because MDK has another revenue
> > > source doesn't mean they need your purchases/contributions any less.
> >
> > Apparently they don't, as they're making purchasing the box less
> > attractive - to me in any case. I was thinking about buying 9.2 (I
> > just tested 9.1, coming from Red Hat, and was reasonably happy with
> > what I saw), but under these circumstances I don't see why. If the boxed
> > version was completely ad-free, I *would* buy it.
>
> This reminds me of "single issue voters" I've heard so much about. You
> probably like urpmi more than up2date, the Drak tools more than Red
> Hat's tools, the MDK support lists more than the Red Hat lists, and MDKs
> goal of making Linux easier to use for newbies... but you're more
> inclined to reward Red Hat because of what they _don't_ do. With all due
> respect, that strikes me as petty.
>
> > And if I really want to support something, I rather spend money on true
> > volunteer efforts, like e.g. buying OpenBSD CDs (now there's something
> > I definitely won't download).
>
> Now if you've got only so much to give (as we all do) and you choose to
> give it to a project that operates strictly by volunteer efforts, hey,
> you have my blessing ;-)

Miark,

   I have a feeling he won't download OpenBSD for the same reason I
won't.  The CD version gives me a much higher level of "feel good" about
security.  Once I vet the CD as being solid I know when I install it
every install will be 100% highjack free, and installed and hardened
before it reaches out and touches the internet.

   Personally I've a really novel idea on how to make money.  Make the
product available in stores, (oooh ahhh shock!)  I mean heck it works
for RedHat SuSE and Slackware.  Yes I know MDK won't get 100% of the
money.  So what.  If I buy a head of lettuce the farmer doesn't get 100%
of the money either.  But he/she can sell a lot more lettuce and make a
lot more money than if they had a single roadside stand.

   A little bit a lot of times really adds up.  I remember in High
School a friend of mine wanted to put a Holly Double Pumper on his car.
(large expensive carburetor) He did it by spending the first half of the
school year asking everyone if they had any pennies.  A whole lot of
requests later he had the $150.00 for the part, one penny at a time.
(this is 1972 btw)

James