On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 03:52, James wrote:
> Thanks for you suggestion, Jack, but I'm still having problems.
>
> I tried changing things to mimick your setup, but this broke my server
> altogether.  I might have done something wrong.  I;ve gone back to my

Try service httpd configtest to see what's wrong, could be a simple
typo.

> previous setup and now my virtuals work fine, but my default server
> still can't be viewed.  Here is my current setup, maybe you can see
> something wrong and suggest a change (by the time you get this email, I
> will probably have switched over to the working server)  vivid-eye.com is
> my default server, powwowdance.com is an example of one of my virtuals:

> etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/Vhosts.conf:
>
> NameVirtualHost 63.224.195.57

make that NameVirtualHost *

> <VirtualHost 63.224.195.57>
<VirtualHost *>
> ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> DocumentRoot "/var/www/html/vivid-eye/public_html"
> ServerName www.vivid-eye.com
Set up a Directory stanza here
Options whatever
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost 63.224.195.57>
<VirtualHost *>
> DocumentRoot "/var/www/html/powwowdance/public_html"
> ServerNamewww.powwowdance.com
Set up a Directory stanza here, same as above
> </VirtualHost>

> etc/httpd/conf/httpd2.conf
>
> <VirtualHost *>
> DocumentRoot /var/www/html/vivid-eye/public_html
> ServerName www.vivid-eye.com
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *>
> DocumentRoot /var/www/html/powwowdance/public_html
> ServerName www.powwowdance.com
> </VirtualHost>

don't repeat the same stuff -- httpd2.conf already calls Vhost.conf, so
don't modify httpd2.conf at all unless you want to mess with low level
stuff like mime types and gzip.

> The powwowdance.com can be seen just fine, but I can't view vivid-eye.com..
> and when I do try to view it, I get garbled text that looks like
> this:
> http://www.vivid-eye.com/james/garbled.jpg

wow, cool :-) Smells like language encoding problems, you haven't been
messing with UTF-8 type stuff have you?

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...