On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 11:19, James wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions.  It's working now.  Everything seems to be
> fine *except* one last thing.  My default is vivid-eye.com and it's
> serving fine, I just need to rearrange some directories, but the thing
> that isn't working is a directory called /james
>
> My vivid-eye directory is located here:
> /var/www/html/vivid-eye/public_html/index.html
>
> The directory I can't seem to access from the internet is located here:
> /var/www/html/vivid-eye/public_html/james
>
> I've made sure the directory is open, and even chmod 755 to make extra
> sure, but I get a 403 Forbidden "You don't have permission to access
> /james/ on this server."

A long time ago I had this problem on one of my boxes, I currently use
Debian for my webserver though.

It is usually caused by a misconfiguration in the Directory section for
DocumentRoot. The quick workaround would be to define a Directory
section for the directory james whithin either a virtual hosts container
or the global section of the config file. You may have too restrictive
permissions in you options section elswhere stopping a URL from
descending down from DocumentRoot.

Sorry if this is already covered, but I am missing the posts before this
one.

HTH
David.