On Wednesday 24 September 2003 08:08 am, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > James, I'm puzzled why FileManager SUMode didn't ask for the root
> > > password.  Would this happen if he hadn't created any users?
> > > Could that be the real problem?  It's trying to know what to ask
> > > him that's my problem.
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > Anne,
> > File Manager Super User Mode doesn't ask and DOESN'T put you into
> > su mode in Gnome, though it does both in KDE, at least on my 9.1
> > installation. Dunno why. It's not a question of having logged in as
> > root. I've made a note of this in one of the TWiki entries
> > somewhere.
> >
> > DougB
>
> That's incredible!  There isn't much point in it, in that case.  I
> wonder if he would be prepared to stick to kde until he has things up
> and running and explore other dms later.  I'll suggest it to him.

hahah yup. I have another one for you. Make a super duper encrypted file
system with a minimum of 16 characters. So when it is booted or mounted it
requires a password. (naturally) Now,  open the control center and go into
mount points and mount the d#@ thing. No password! I was pretty much blown
away by that, but I guess they figure if you are root, you should be able to
mount anything. Kind of defeats the whole purpose in my mind. :)