On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 08:30:48 -0700 (PDT), Terje Heen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- lorne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Friday 26 September 2003 05:43 pm, Terje Heen
wrote:
> Hi there.
> How to edit the lilo.conf with vi??
> Can not seem to save the read only file....
> (not familiar with this editor :-)

If you are doing this a root, you should be able to
do a :w! and then :q.

Hello Lorne. I'm very glad for all info I can get. Ok. so far so good. Im gonna change vga=788 to vga=normal due to a framebuffer problem. With the lilo.conf open in vi i hit "i" for insert and edit 788 to normal. (the text becomes blue for some reason). Then I go out with esc. and try to save. Then vi tells me "argument required"... Sorry for my "bad knowhow" about linux, but I find linux very interresting and I have to start someplace..... :-)

:x and :wq should save your changes and exit vi, :w should save the file but not quit vi, and :save <filename> will save the file to a new name. Of these I listed, only :save requires an argument - the filename.

There's a good primer - "Learning the VI Editor" by O'Reilly and it includes a Quick Reference Guide. I borrowed the book from the library, read it once, and photocopied the reference guide.

hth,
Phil

Regards. Terje

-- Using Mandrake Linux 9.1 www.mandrakesoft.com