On Saturday 27 September 2003 08:30 am, Terje Heen wrote:
> --- lorne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Friday 26 September 2003 05:43 pm, Terje Heen
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Hi there.
> > > How to edit the lilo.conf with vi??
> > > Can not seem to save the read only file....
> > > (not familiar with this editor :-)
> >
> > If you are doing this a root, you should be able to
> > do a :w! and then :q.
>
> Hello Lorne.
> I'm very glad for all info I can get.
> Ok. so far so good. Im gonna change vga=788 to
> vga=normal due to a framebuffer problem. With the
> lilo.conf open in vi i hit "i" for insert and edit 788
> to normal. (the text becomes blue for some reason).
> Then I go out with esc. and try to save.
> Then vi tells me "argument required"...
> Sorry for my "bad knowhow" about linux, but I find
> linux very interresting and I have to start
> someplace..... :-)

Not to worry, we were all there once. :) You just happened to pick one of the
hardest editor you could think of. hahah.... Make SURE you are in as root. at
the prompt su enter. Then password. Once you have a # prompt you are good.
Then open your file and use the x key to remove a character at a time. r for
replacing a character. Anyhow, once you have all the text the way you want,
hit escape. You should then have a : prompt at the bottom. At this point type
w! and hit enter. Then escape again and q at the : prompt. that should do it.

The reason for the blue is it attempts to decode what you have to make it
easier to read. I'm not sure the exact logic behind it, but it has been this
way for a year or two now.