On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:12:08AM -0700, Rolf Pedersen wrote:
> If I understand you, there is no need to set your mail agent's reply-to
> to the list.

Personally, I hardly ever set a Reply-To...

> In fact, if you leave reply-to unset, all replies to mail
> you send will be sent back to the address you are sending from, except
> in such cases as the mailing lists,  where replies ought to be
> automatically sent to the list, not you.  The list is a public forum,
> not a private resource.

I agree, but to me, the principle of "least surprise" works the other
way round: If I hit "reply", I expect to reply to the sender, not the
list - that's the way it always works.
In my case, if I want to reply to the list, I hit "list-reply", not
"reply".

> If someone wants to make a private reply to a
> mail on the list, it is incumbent upon them to reply only to the
> individual, not incumbent upon everyone else to change the automatic
> behavior everytime they wish to reply to the list.

But the "Reply-To" header of the list does change the automatic
behaviour - "reply" and "list-reply" now work the same, which would
not be the case if Reply-To wasn't set at all...
On second thought, I realize that I might be forgetting that there are
too many mail clients that don't have "list-reply", which is a pity.
Great functionality.

> http://www.monkeynoodle.org/comp/reply-to

Thanks for the pointers! I admit I'm not convinced, but I see that I'm
in a minority here, so I'll shut up now (and promise not to set
"Reply-To"... ;-) ).

Cheerio,

Thomas

P.S.:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker

Duh - should've thought of that one... :-/
                Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org