Have you tried swat. I think it makes it a little easier.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jack Coates [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 3:30 PM
To: Mandrake Expert List
Subject: Re: [expert] All I want to do is FTP

trying to figure out why Samba isn't working... two hours
looking for alternatives network transfer mechanisms... one hour
sneaker-netting the data with removable media... six hours

downloading pscp.exe and simply transferring the files... priceless

:-)

I mean, honestly. I've got nearly ten years of earning a living with
computers under my belt, I'm MCSE and LPIC-2 certified, and I've spent
over half my career working with networks and firewalls. I still can't
configure Samba properly on the first try, and usually not on the second
or third either. I know a couple of admins who are comfortable with
Samba, but most admins in my circle fight for hours and days to get it
set up and then stay the hell away from it.

Recommending that a newbie jump in and start hacking smb.conf and
smbpasswd is like asking Jack Black to win an Ironman :-)